Entry Formalities for Indian Nationals
Indian Nationals –
Entry Permit for Bhutan:
Indian nationals do not require any visa for Bhutan. The following documents are needed to get the permit:
- Personal Presence
- Original Passport with a minimum validity of 6 months from the date of departure from Bhutan or original Voter ID. No other document shall be acceptable by the immigration.
- Also carry photocopy of the travel documents
- 04 passport size photographs, applicable only for land entry.
- For Children, original Birth certificate in English and student ID is required.
- If the guests are arriving from or travelling to, any other country other than India, the only document acceptable is 6 months’ valid original passport. No other document shall be accepted by the immigration.
- OCI Card or PIO card are not valid documents to travel to Bhutan as Indian Nationals. They will be considered as Foreign Nationals and will need 6 months’ valid passport only. In such case all rules as applicable to foreign national shall be applicable to them and they will be subjected to VISA and Royalty charges.
If you are entering Bhutan via land, it is to be noted that the permits are issued only during working days and hours (Monday to Friday between 9 am to 4 pm during winter and 5 pm during summer). No permits are issued on Saturday, Sunday and Bhutan government holidays. It is suggested that the travellers arriving in Phuentsholing on Friday should arrive latest by 10 AM in order to complete the entry formalities. However, during high season depending upon the rush immigration may take long time to issue the permit. We shall not be responsible for any delay during processing of permit by the immigration authority. Please keep your client informed they may have to stand on long queue during high season to obtain the permit if traveling via Phuentsholing.
Online Permit – Bhutan has recently started a system of Online Permit, which is applicable only for Indian Nationals holding Indian passport valid for minimum of 6 months from date of departure from Bhutan. For this, we need clear scanned copy of passport along with e-tickets. No photos of passport taken from mobile shall be accepted. In order to get Online Permit no other document including Voter I Card is accepted.
Special Permit for places other than Phuentsholing, Thimphu and Paro:
Special Permit is required to visit places beyond Thimphu and Paro from the Department of Immigrations, Thimphu. No charges will be applicable for this permit. Please bring photocopy of Voter ID card or Passport of each person including child (Birth Certificate and School I Card). This special permit is given only after guest has entered Bhutan. Permits are not issued on Saturday, Sunday & Bhutan Govt. holidays. Only for those travelling to these places on Saturday, Sunday & Bhutan Govt. holidays, we can apply for the permits in advance. For valid passports holder we can do so online and for voter I card holders, we can do so manually. For both these modes of application, we would need clear scanned copy of passport or voter I card as the case may be along with e-tickets. No photographs taken from mobile shall be accepted.